After one week at Bikram training, I was able to refine my grocery shopping. Week one I bought:
At Trader Joes
- Instant Oatmeal – Haven’t Used Once
- Low Fat String Cheese (12) -Ate All- bought 2 this week!
- Whole Wheat Tortillas (12) – Half went bad don’t keep in a drawer!
- Hummus x2 – Went through 1 1/2
- 2 Red Peppers
- 1 Cucumber
- 1 Bag Frozen Strawberries
- Bag of Spinach
- Mini Ravioli
- Spaghetti Sauce
- Whey Protein
- Peanut Butter
- Salt – Really good because I was cramping my second day!
- 1/2 and 1/2 – Gotta have it for my coffee! My french press was a must buy at Target!
- Chocolate Covered Coffee Beans
- 5 Coconut H20s -One for each day between classes!
- 1lb Turkey
- Soy Sauce
I did pretty good the first week, but from my meal tracking (Remember we can learn a lot when we track our food!) I saw I wasn’t getting near enough protein. Part of the problem was my lunches. I have been eating Ramon for lunch everyday since I cramped in my Tuesday evening class. Ramon has a lot of Carbs to replenish my glycogen stores between classes, but it also has a TON of sodium. Normally, I wouldn’t consider this a staple lunch because of high Carb Count and level of sodium. 2 Yoga classes a day though calls for an above average consumption of sodium! To add a little more protein to this otherwise carb dominant lunch, this week I bought some liquid eggs! Here is my modified grocery list for week two:
- Protein Powder (2lbs) – I doubled my protein powder. I have been having a shake in the morning before class and a shake in the evening to bring to evening lecture with Peanut butter and Coffee. It is a great way to get my caffeine and some fuel before class and a tasty treat in the evening to help keep me awake in case we have a Bollywood movie night!
- Organic Red Quinoa – A good source of protein I can mix with greens as a salad for lunch! Cooks well with my Electric Kettle!
- TJ’s Green Curry Simmer Sauce- Seasons the Quinoa really well!
- Indian Madras Lentils- Again to mix with the Quinoa for some variety in my lunches
- ****I later learned Juniper Vegetables or Palak Paneer are better options for more protein!
- Liquid Eggs- To add to my Ramon at lunch
- Baking Cocoa (the 2lb Protein Powder only came in Vanilla)
- Very Green Powder Drink- To mix with my Coconut Water and Lemon as an Electrolyte Replacement also a good source of Iron for borderline anemics like me!
- 1 lb of Coffee
- 72% Dark Chocolate Bar for a treat in the evening
- 1 Can Garbanzo beans- to add to Quinoa Salads
- Mini Ravioli- Cooks well in the Kettle for a Meal switch up
- 2 bags String Cheese- My Favorite snack at the moment. Also has more Protein than most quick grab items!
- Hummus Quartet- 20oz to keep me through the week with my veggies!
- 2 bags of Carrots – I ate over half the bag the first night before I had made my dinner!
- 1 bad of Spinach- Another great source of Iron!
- Bag of Fuji Apples- I missed having fruit last week!
- Bag of Lemons- To mix with my greens!
- Cucumber- Great for wraps
- 2 Peppers- great for wraps, salads, and snacking!
- Ramon- Loved it last week for lunch! Super easy to make with my electric kettle!
- 1lb Turkey- Great on it’s on as a protein fix or in a tortilla for a wrap
- Canned Salmon- For when I get sick of Turkey!
Excited to have a little more variety and protein this week! I’m stalked and ready to go for the week!