- 2lbs Pork Loin (It’s leaner than pork shoulder)
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp coriander
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 12 oz chicken stock
- 4 ounces orange juice
- 4 ounces lime juice
- Brown Meat
- Combine all ingredients in slow cooker
- Cook on low for 8 hours or high for 4 hours.
Serve over lettuce with Guacamole for a salad or in a taco shell!
Are you bored with your meals?
The number one thing people often tell me when they are on a diet, is that they “get bored with their healthy meals.” They aren’t actually bored with their healthy meals, but they miss the flavor from the unhealthy foods they used to make. When you start a diet, you need to retrain yourself to cook. You need to learn your “go tos” to add favor not calories!
If you’re bored with your meals, your meals are probably boring!
Here are the top 5 ways to spice it up:
- Combine your food! Think about all the foods you love: pizza, lasagna, burgers, nachos. They all combine foods! They make you crave them because there you are so many flavors your brain has got to crave SOMETHING in that recipe. So learn healthy recipes for your favorite foods. Try this one for Cauliflower Pizza!
- Add spices. Remember a little goes a long way. Start experimenting! Some of my favorite are garlic powder (or fresh garlic!), basil, cumin, Italian, and Everyday Seasoning.
Cholula comes in many different flavors! Pick your favorite and you can put it in almost anything!
- Experiment with Hot Sauces! You don’t need to add a lot, but hot sauces can add a lot of flavor with adding too much heat. Some of my favorite (and yes I like my food hot!) are sriracha, local jerk rubs (check your local farmers markets or the steak isles), and Cholula.
- Use Fat Free or Low Fat Cheese! When cooking foods that have cheese use the fat free or low fat versions. Many of the foods we love have cheese in them. Don’t always refrain from cooking your favorite foods. However, when you do; look to substitute a lower fat cheese for what the recipe normally calls for!
- Try out a new recipe a week! Recipes incorporate different spices you wouldn’t normally work with. When you try a new spice, think about what flavor it adds. Then you can add it to your basic recipes like Lazy-Ass Man’s Chicken to make them taste different and more flavorful every time!
- 1 Chicken Breast per Person
- 1 Can lite Coconut Milk
- Curry Paste (red or green)
- 1 tsp. Fish Sauce
- 2 Chicken Bouillon Cubes
- Head of Broccoli
- 1 Red, Yellow, or Orange Pepper
- 1 Sweet Onion
- Coconut Oil
- Soy Sauce
Start simmering coconut milk, fish sauce, curry paste, and chicken bouillon, and 1 cup water in a large wok.
Chop onion, pepper, and broc. Add onion and pepper. Set Broccoli aside.
Melt coconut oil in pan enough to coat bottom of frying pan. Add some soy sauce and sriracha. Sautee Chicken in pan then add to the wok.
Add Broccoli. Cook until veggies are tender.
Serve over rice or spinach for a low cal/low carb choice!
Come spring every year my religious customs have me fasting from meat in Friday. (I have also given up alcohol as part of my Lenten sacrifice. ) I still need to get my protein though to recover from my strength workout with my visiting friend Deb and yoga class and fuel me to run tomorrow with my runners!
Tonights menu: salmon with cous cous over peppers, onions, and spinach with a strawberry salsa and asparagus.